Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

What I Live For


What I Live For

Till they went away.
I thought I knew what got me up in the morning
And what helped me sleep at night.
Voices, talking, singing, arguing
“She won’t leave me alone!”
“What’s for dinner?”
Quiet moments that were a moment too short.
Now the quiet goes on and on and on.

Love, pouring it out on another
Gives me life,
More than I ever really knew or understood.
Spontaneous hugs
Bedtime prayers
Brushing hair
Shared meals

“Time to do your chores.”
“Can we play the Wii?”
I haven’t heard those in two weeks
And I’m afraid I’ve forgotten how.

All I want to do is hug them,
Pull them close and not let go,
Kiss their faces till they turn red,
Fall down into my bed tired…so tired that I don’t even
Realize that I”ve fallen asleep.

Tomorrow they’ll be home
For two short days.
Then I’ll say good-bye for another week
Of quiet.
Then it will be over for a while
Because they will come home
Vacation over, start back to life.
And I can rest in the chaos once again.

It's what I live for.
It's what I love for.

No comments:

Post a Comment