Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Rest

The white room splashed with colors
Aqua blue, brilliant yellow, neon green
Images, bursting with life, splatter in my home.

I find myself cherishing the very tiny things that
Used to slip by. Unnoticed.


Voices creating a symphony with their simple sounds
Light snoring, gently sleeping beside me, an angel
At my feet, another angel, not ready to be alone
In his new ‘all boy’ room.
“Yes, you can lay here till you fall asleep.”
I promise to take him to his bed after he has fully embraced
‘dream world’
His long lean body, relaxed at my feet, head on pillow, chest rising and falling
With the quilt rolled up beside him.

Beside me, my little girl, curled up with her book.
Her warm back pressed on mine. I close my eyes, hear the pages turn.
Listen to her little sniffle and soft breathing.
The ceiling fan keeps the cool air moving. I try to stay awake, to be aware of the love God sent me, at my feet, and at my back.
But the lush surroundings take me to a green meadow, with a clear brook, small deer lapping up the crystal water. Birds chirruping to welcome the morning.
I lay in the green valley, sheltered by majestic gray mountains. Wind blows over my body, keeping it cool and refreshed.

Before I begin my walk beside the brook, I wake up. My son, slumbering at my feet, sighs heavily. I wake him with a whisper. “Come on. Let’s go get in your bed.”
He stands up, keeps his eyes closed, trusts me to walk him to his room.

I tuck him in, he rolls over and slides back to sleep.
I return to my room, my daughter is asleep with a book. The lamp is on.
I climb in bed, leave the lamp on, and rest.
The storm is over.
Rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment