Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

Pain and Peace


Peace and Pain

How can the pain bring me peace?
I lay on the sofa, in a ball
Holding on to the truth
That pulls me into the place of peace

I twist and turn
And try to press the pillow into
My soul

I see her face, twisted like my heart
She doesn’t understand
Can’t understand
That I passed my pain to her

Instead of walking away
I tried to stop the train with my hands
It crushed me
The metal flew around
I tried to hold my hands up
To make a shield with my weak arms

The pieces rained down
I grabbed her, ran
Hid under the trees till the
Clanging metal became a disturbing silence

As I slip into a sleep
She sneaks away
Begins rummaging through the wreckage
She finds detached limbs
Rotting carcasses
Frozen screaming faces

A baby cries in its dead
Mother’s arms
She walks towards it
Picks it up
And brings it back to me

She asks me to hold it
Nurture it, protect it, love it
I give it all I have
But it’s not enough
My milk dries up

The baby cries at night
The howls are never-ending
She wraps the baby
And slips away

I scream, telling her not to leave
She doesn’t hear me
Because the old wreck has started
To fall in on itself
Sink holes appear
Behind her as she runs towards a shack

I see a small stream of smoke
From a chimney in the distance
I know she’s there
Seeking refuge and comfort

I leave my place in the woods
And walk to a waterfall
Place my feet in the clear cool water
And watch the tadpoles swim
In a little pool

I am refreshed
I have pain
And I have peace

No comments:

Post a Comment