Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

Time Warp


He pops in 

from time to time.
And when he's gone,
It's like he almost was never here.
The ghost of him lingers,
And it seems impossible
that he exists in my life today.
The reality that is handed to me, one contrary to the facts, is this:


He was a lifetime ago.

How can someone in the present
Leave their memory in the distant past?

It is happening to me
Every single time I see him.


He was a lifetime ago.

I have those long-ago memories of innocence and beauty
and music
and soft kisses.
Forever 
wrapped around me forming a cocoon
of who I am.
Helping me to hope
that my future will be 
as sweet as the past.

Then a crack forms,
and a blast of light enters.
We share a cup of coffee
and wildflowers
and hold pinkies
while the june-bugs sing.
Or we throw a blanket
on a hill
in the freezing cold
to watch the stars twinkle 
and light our way.

When the truck lights fade,
the memory of yesterday
becomes something
so far away
that it is almost
as if
we created a breach
in space and time. 

Last night, as I looked at the candle wax
on my dresser 
I felt this paradox of time.

Then, I had a thought:
What if, instead of putting memories in the past
we are touching a future?
And since the future cannot exist in our minds yet,
The only place for the memory to reside
Is the place where it began.

No comments:

Post a Comment