Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Close the Book


This story is over
And I stay on the last page
re-reading the last line
over, and over and over

Because its not the ending I wanted
It's not the ending I planned for
or dreamed for
or hoped for
or prayed for

Did God hear my prayer?
Does He see this?
Or did he glance away, for just a second
While this last line was written

Or worse yet?
Did he allow this line to be written
A line that cut my heart in half
And left me like a pile
of flesh
Bleeding, openly
For days and weeks

I have decided that the latter is what happened.
He allowed it
Maybe my heart needed cutting
Maybe it was wound too tight
in the flesh
And the only way to release my
spirit
Was to be cut

So here I sit, cut open,
weeping, and weeping and weeping
And sorting through the past 16 years of my life
and asking myself
what I am supposed to do next
Asking God to show me how to grow in this

As I pray
I hear a knock on my door
It's Fed-Ex
A non-descript man hands me
A small package.
I sign for it.

Will it contain a bomb?
I almost hope it does.
I open it
And there lies a book
With a white cover
and small gold letters
with a title
"Sequel to Book One"

I open the cover
and a tiny white feather, 
floats up and around my face
then a wind carries it away

I turn to the first page
And it is blank.
I flip through the whole book
And it's pure whiteness almost blinds me

I go inside
And lay the book face down.
Taped to the back of the book
Is a pen, with silver ink
And a small note
"It's time to write...."
Another tiny white feather
is stuck to the back cover
I trace it with my finger tips
And a sense of hope
Wells up in me

I weep in gratitude
"Thank you." I whisper
To whomever sent me this gift 


No comments:

Post a Comment