Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

What He Said

We sat in the doctor's office, in a small room, waiting to find out what the pain meant. My son rolled around on the small round stool, pushing off the counter and sliding back to the far wall. I read quotes, outloud, from a wordsearch book titled, "Chicken Soup for the Soul". The first one spoke about going outside, if you are ever really sad, to let the beauty of nature comfort you. The next one, written by Hellen Keller, talked of life being one big adventure, and embracing the challenges wholeheartedly. We discussed these thoughts, and decided we agreed with them both. Next, was one about discovering your own spirit, by looking for the spirit in another person. My son didn't quite get this, and questioned me about this concept. I explained it like this,"Your spirit is kind of like a fiddler crab, it will come out, when it is looking for the spirit in someone else, then when it does come out--you'll get to see what it looks like." He responded, "Well, sometimes my spirit is bad, and sometimes it's good. So what does it look like?" I paused, knowing that I had to answer this one clearly. "Well, your spirit is  pure and beautiful because you love God, and he knows that. Your spirit is completely clean in God's eyes. Jesus washed it clean. Forever. When you decided that you believed in Him, He took you in.Now, no matter what you do, God will only see the goodness in your heart, the goodness He put in there."
"Wow. That's like getting paid before doing the job." My son responded. "I wanna do good things for God."
I held up my hand and gave him a high 5. "You got the big picture. That is awesome!"
I felt like he'd actually explained it to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment