Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2022

Blackberry Heaven

 The grass is tall and golden behind my house

It looks like a field you'd see in Kansas

The colors vary from green to light golden, and during a drought- a sad brown

There's a patch  beneath a large oak in the field, that looks like weeds

I've never explored that region on my walks, so I'm not sure what it is

A few weeks ago I changed my walking route, and decided to follow the fence line which leads to a small creek.

The grass was up to my knees, and the further down the hill I went, the more briars I discovered yanking and scraping my ankles 

While removing some of the thorns, I noticed a small green berry under the white blossom

"Oooooh, this looks like a blackberry bush. "

Today, I headed out to check on the wild bushes, hoping to see a few ripe berries.

I put on long pants and my garden boots and headed out just after sunrise.

I unlocked the rusty chain that hung loosely on the gate. The grass is taller now, and a deep golden hue. Hugging the fence line, I walked in a straight line. My eyes stayed peeled to the ground, in case a snake was creeping at my feet.

As I approached the corner of our yard, I glanced down and saw black and red berries. 

"What! Berries right here, at the corner?!" Just steps away from my back door, the first bush smiled at me. I began picking the berries, avoiding the thorns. I took a few steps, and there was another bush, this one was loaded with heavy ripe berries. 

"Abundance, right here, right beside my house, and I never saw them! I've been here 7 years, and never saw them."

I felt a sense of humility, the generosity of God is amazing. I did nothing to create these berries. I didn't water, fertilize or nurture these. Yet, I get to enjoy them. It's a gift handed to me. Literally, at my finger tips. I felt a rush of emotions: gratitude, joy, love. An awareness of the abundance here for me, if I will simply walk on a new path.

Thank you God for showing me your glory today.

No comments:

Post a Comment