Pages

Monday, July 14, 2014

Inside the Bush

The blueberries are pulling down the branches.
I approach the bush with my plastic bucket hanging over my arm.
With a light touch of my hand, the blueberries let go of their limb, and fall into my palm.
I begin with the limbs at eye level.
"This is so easy."

I spend time with the berries, and contemplate God's goodness.
I try to see Him in everything now.
Since the great day of reckoning. I search out God, it is a quest that I enjoy.

The blueberries are everywhere.
But it seems that the best ones are just out of reach.
Why is this?
I force myself to look only at the ones that I can reach, and pick an entire branch, before moving on.

Soon, I am pulling down the overhead branches, and sliding my hand over the clumps.
I hold my bucket beneath the branch, where they fall, joining the others.
Plunk, plunk, plunk.

After the tall branches are picked, I find myself plunging into the bush.
There are berries, big, full, purple blueberries, surrounding me.
Oh, this is so God! His fullness really does surround me.
I feel so humble. Because I fail to recognize His bounty 99% of the time.

I think of my neighbor, who was pinned under his tractor last week.
And of my friend Robin, who just lost her husband.
I pray for their relief of pain and suffering.
I feel so grateful.

My neighbor, he is fortunate to have a wife that will help care for him when he returns home.
Robin, what a model of true love. She married her husband, knowing he had cancer. They had 6 years together. And he's gone now. Sacrificial love.

The bucket is nearly full now.
And so am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment