Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Freedom


Looking at the birds, 
fluttering around on a branch
overhead.
They are hopping on the ground,
beaks, pecking the pine needles
Expecting to find something

As I peck at the seemingly dry ground
I expect to find a drop of water
or a hidden cavern
leading to a new green pasture

The moment my beak hits the ground
The blue sky turns to billowing gray masses
covering any trace of warm, glowing sun
yet a drop of water hits the very spot
of dry, dusty earth
The drop, shaped like a tear
Reflects my face, 
My features become a misshapen oval head
and I sip the drop into my parched mouth

Another drop falls at my feet, and then I feel
a cool drop on my head, another on my back and 
moments later they begin rolling off my oily feathers
Soon I am standing in a small pool

Memory of dryness creeps into my thoughts
And the sun instantly bakes me into a crispy mess
like burnt bacon

I look up and see the birds on the branch
and remember that I must simply put
my beak to the dry ground.
I lower my head
In expectation of the rain
that will soon fall 
and quench my every need.


No comments:

Post a Comment