Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Wall

A pile of bricks lay scattered
around me
Some broken in half
Others with straight, smooth sides
A few just slightly cracked

I look for the one that
looks as if it will
withstand hurricane-sized winds
And set it down in front of me.

To my left is a very small bucket full
of muddy liquid.
To my right, a brush, exactly the right size for
my small hand.
I cover the top of the brick with the wet sludge
while I look for the next brick.
I press them together and wait.
When I am sure they are joined,
I find two more, and repeat my actions.

Four small bricks now lay at my feet.
But somehow, they turn into forty, then four hundred.

I blink, and I find myself surrounded by a
structure so sturdy that I am certain
no army can get through it.

Then, I lay down on my soft sheets.
And sigh with relief.

I had to build a wall for myself.
The bricks were provided.
All I had to do was glue them together.

No comments:

Post a Comment