Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Tears


Tears

Knowing in my heart
Wanting something
That I cannot have
But not giving up hope

I see you when I can
Then I suffer when you go
I curl up, sometimes
I think it’s just not worth it

But then I think of your soft cheek
And my hand in yours
The little grin that covers your face
And brightens my world

And I just can’t seem to let go
Of the dream

Am I just a dreamer?
Someone who will hang on
When it seems pointless
To everyone else around me?

“I was only 18”
I tell myself
That I really wasn’t able to
Know or understand
The meaning of the word
Compatibility

I spent twenty years
Telling myself that the love I felt
Was just something I created
To cover up the emptiness.

Then, late one night
When my kids were asleep,
You called me and asked if you could see me.
I didn’t understand what you wanted
Or what you expected.

When I asked you why you wanted to come
Your answer surprised me.
"I wanna hold your hand
And look in your eyes,
And tell you something
Ask you something,
If you’ll let me."

Two hours later
I saw your black truck pull into my driveway.
My heart, so full of love, ready to spill out
On my kitchen floor,
That I just stood at the door,
Not knowing what to say
Or do,
Or believe,
Or think.

You came walking towards me
And I started to shake.
Tears couldn’t be pressed in.
I had waited for this moment
My whole life.
And now it was here.
And I didn’t know what to say
To the man, the love of my life.

“Welcome home” I heard myself say.
It just came out of me
Without thought.
You embraced me at the door.
My soul soared.
You picked me up,
Carried me across the threshold
Across my green seventies
Linoleum floor,
That suddenly looked like the kitchen
I was supposed to have
When you walked in my home.

It showed you who I am
And where I’d been.
I’m not a fancy lady
I’m just a simple woman
With simple dreams
And wishing that a simple man
Would walk into my life.

We sat on my blue worn out sofa.
You held my  hand between both of yours.
Then your eyes filled with tears even before you
Spoke.
“Kathy, I want you to be with me when I am
Dying.
If I get sick, I want to ask my oldest son to come for you,
To find you, so that you can be beside me
When I cross over.”

I felt my soul moving to that place
Holding his hand, smoothing his forehead
With my hand, comforting him,
As he sailed out of his body.

“would you come, if I called you?”

The earth, in that moment,
Seemed so very small, and I felt
Even smaller, maybe because
I sensed
The magnitude of what he was asking me.
“Of course I’d come. I’d come as quickly as I could.”

Now, three months later, I realized what he was asking me.
In fact, as I am writing this, Just two paragraphs ago,
I realized, that this question was the one I had been waiting to hear my whole life.

I used to think that a man getting on his knee, and opening a box
Was the way a woman was going to be asked to join her soul with another.

But that is only half of the question, that is the easy part.
Will you love me when it is not easy?
Will you hold my arm, to keep me steady
As I shuffle to the bathroom?
Will you blend my food when I am too weak to chew it?
Will you help me get to the porch so I can look at the flowers
That I planted years ago?
Will you lift the wheelchair into the car
And take me for a drive to see the beautiful leaves
In the fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment