Pages

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Paying for Air

Something heavy on my heart today.



I’m not sure if it’s the murder,


Or something dead in me.


This morning, it felt like the world was a dark, dry place.


Barren. No joy. No life.






But I looked around and saw life everywhere.


The cat sitting on my bed pillow.


The sound of my son’s feet hitting the floor


After I hollered, “Mornin’ kids. Time to get up.”


With a forced effort at sounding cheerful.






As I walked down to put my clothes in the drier,


To toss away the wrinkles,


I wished I could just climb in the drier too,


And maybe toss away whatever


Seemed to have a grip on my spirit.






It’s as if something, or someone, was pulling me down


Towards the ground,


Wanting to watch me fall.


I kept moving,


Walking past objects that were


Looking like a nice place to rest.


My bed. My favorite blue chair,


Even the hard piano stool


Looked comfortable.






On the garage, the icy air seemed to bounce


Off my skin as I piled a few split logs


Into my arms.






I tossed a couple of pieces of fatlighter


Onto the coals, watching the flames


Reach up towards the new wood.


I watched the burning


And time seemed frozen.






I chose a different route to work


After filling up my gas tank.


Instead of hopping on the interstate


I wound through the low hills,


Hoping that I could unwind


The spool inside of me


That seemed too tight.






But nothing loosened.


It’s still there-


A choking feeling,


Like I have to pay for


The air that I breathe today.

No comments:

Post a Comment